In His Presence



I live in a culture where presentation and hosting is a BIG deal. If you have a mere stranger in your house, you'll at least serve a drink, but if you have a guest of honor - the sky is the limit! That is when you quite literally slaughter a goat and make a feast. You may even go above and beyond your means just so everyone knows that you are a generous person. There can be a beautiful generosity to this or on the other hand guilt that one hasn't done enough and judgement if others don't do enough. In fact, it reminds me a lot of the story of Mary and Martha.

In this simple story, our Lord comes and visits his good friends in Bethany - Lazarus, Martha and Mary. Both women are busy hosting in different capacities - Martha is busy in the kitchen and with preparations and Mary is sitting with the Lord captivated with His every word. Then Martha goes to the Lord and complains that Mary should be in the kitchen helping her because there is so much to do. That is the kind of judgement that is so prevalent here. Do this! Do that! Or at least pretend otherwise, you will be judged by society.  

When I first was adjusting back to living in the Middle East, I was trying to learn as much as possible from the locals around me, mimicking how they would serve, memorizing social protocol, and doing my best to be the ideal host. As I got to know more of the local ladies and have deeper friendships, I began to realize that behind the facade, many of them found the social expectations stressful and an unnecessary amount of pressure. What they really longed for was deep friendship, vulnerable relationship that went deeper than fancy dishes and serving platters. 

Let's return to the story where the Lord responds to Martha: "...you are worried and upset about many things, but few are needed - indeed only one..." I realized that I was focusing on the wrong thing. I was elevating being the best hostess, the best wife, the best servant - when really that's not what the Lord was asking me to do! It wasn't what the people around me were craving either! He was inviting me to create space for others to sit at his feet in His presence. His final sentence to Martha contains such a beautiful promise: "Mary has chosen what is better and it will not be taken away from her." 

"It [the communion with our Lord] will not be taken away from her" - Wow! I live in a society where nothing is guaranteed. The very fabric of the religion is based on a god who may or may not will something to happen. A lie is only a lie if it's found out. A promise is only good if it's convenient. Everyone is trying to work harder to be recognized by the honored guest and they criticize others for not working hard enough. All of these material goods - the big houses, the fancy cars, the lavish feasts, and name brand clothes - all of this can disappear in a moment, but there is one thing that God promises will never be taken away. That is His presence, communion with Him. THAT is what I want to offer to everyone I encounter. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Valuable Thing

A legend