The Lord is With You, Mighty Warrior!

 I've noticed this strange phenomenon - that when I give a command, people obey. I'm just doing my thing and they come to me asking what to do next or for advice on what they're doing. Why do they come to me? Why do they ask me for answers? Who do they think I am?

Sometimes I want to run away from the responsibility of knowing what's going on. I want to bury my head in the sand - pretend I don't know anything, pretend I don't notice the changes needed in my home and my neighborhood, pretend I don't have access to all the riches of heaven. Sometimes I just want to point the finger at someone else and say it's all their fault - it's not my problem! Yet, something deep inside of me stands at attention before the command of the Lord. He said before ascending to the heavenly realms - "All authority in heaven and earth has been given to Me. THEREFORE, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you..." What does it mean to walk in this authority? 

Today we hosted a neighborhood block party here at the Mansion, where I live and work. I wasn't involved in the planning yet I've helped out for years and know a lot of people. Tannon, the director - the life of the party, was unable to attend due to a back injury but we had a good friend, Debbie, taking charge of the party and I expected all questions to be directed to her. After all she knew the game plan and was in charge. One person came up to me, "The pastor wants to talk to you. He wanted to talk to Tannon, but with him not here I thought he should talk to you." And another lady, "I was looking for Tannon but they sent me to you because you can help me!" All this time I'm thinking "Why are they coming to me? Debbie is in charge - she knows what's going on, not me!" 


Then, a police officer shows up to hang out and meet the people. I introduce myself saying that I work with Tannon and the officer immediately warms up to me because he knows Tannon. Which made me think - do I know the power that I carry as a child of God? Do I know the authority that is a part of who I am simply because I know the Father and He knows me? Do I understand that the Son who is the exact representation of the glory of God sustaining all things by His Word (Heb. 1:3) is the very One living inside me?


I often wonder - what if people really knew who I am? Would they still listen to me? I grew up the youngest of three girls - a girl in a man's world. The culture around me taught me to believe it is not respectable to talk to men or even look them in the eyes. If I needed to communicate to a man it was best to let my dad do the speaking. A man always knows what is best and women are led by emotion - I didn't really think to question this logic. I understood the unspoken rule that it was better for a woman to be seen and not heard when around men, to be covered and hidden in all regards. So, I dressed accordingly. I spoke accordingly. And I thought accordingly. 


I didn't even realize I thought this way until we moved back to "the land of the free and the home of the brave" and I began to notice that men and women talked together like it was not big deal. Even young women like me had no shame in talking to men at the grocery store or in church or at the coffee shop! What a strange concept! I remember having moments where I had to intentionally remind myself it was ok to look the man at the register in the eyes. Before people looked at me funny because I was showing my ankles - now I would get sidelong glances because my skirts were too long! I automatically assumed if a guy was talking to me that he wouldn't be interested in what I have to say or that it would be of little value because I was "just a woman". 


I didn't expect people to listen to me. I didn't expect them to obey. So much so - I was scared to teach preschool Sunday school class because I assumed the kids wouldn't respect me! But I forced myself to face my fears and threw myself into working with kids for several years. Then after moving to Harrisburg I began leading teams of youth (another big fear of mine as I felt extremely insecure around American youth) for service projects. I hated it at first because I doubted myself but eventually I began to realize even the youth looked up to me. Now, I'm telling grown adults of both genders and all ages what to do and how to do it. Now I have men and women alike coming up to me asking "what shall we do"? And still I have moments where I am surprised when that volunteer I assigned a job actually listens or I'm on a stage in front of dozens of people and it hits me that they're waiting on my direction. Not Tannon's, not my dad's, not someone older or wiser - they're waiting, listening, expecting me to lead. The weight of the reality of this truth terrifies me! 


When I look at my life it presents some very good excuses to leadership in a multi-ethnic American society with gatherings of both genders and all ages - I'm the youngest in my family and the youngest on staff, I'm a woman, I've grown up overseas in a vastly different culture than all those I work with, I have a naturally quiet voice and tend to be over-stimulated very easily, quick changes and fast decisions are hard for me. As I make this list, I think of Gideon when he's on the threshing floor and the angel of the Lord appears to him and says: "Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian's hand. Am I not sending you?" What is Gideon's first response? "But, Lord, how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family?" He immediately disqualifies himself due to his age, upbringing, and family status. The Lord doesn't try to prove Himself to Gideon or argue all the facts with him. He simply responds: "I will be with you and you will strike down all the Midianites together." Gideon had the choice to believe and act on this statement or agree with all his "disqualifications" and step away from the Lord. The beautiful thing is that the promise of victory is founded on the Lord's statement: "I will be with you." 


Notice the verb tense is future - the Lord is promising that in the moment that Gideon steps out in faith, in the moment where he might feel all alone facing an army that far outnumbers his few men, in the moment where confusion swirls thick and deliverance seems far from reality - it is there the Lord will be with him!! What is the Lord calling you to? What is echoing in your heart as you read this? Perhaps like myself, like Gideon and countless heroes of faith in the Bible, you have questions as to whether or not you're qualified. I am here to tell you as the angel told Gideon - "The LORD is with you mighty warrior!" That is what defines you! That is what qualifies you! That is what gives you the authority to speak, to serve, and to walk in the power of the Lord! 


I come back once again to that passage that started this question of walking in authority - Matt. 28:18-20. Just like He silences Gideon's fears with the promise of being with him, the last thing Jesus leaves His disciples with before He ascends is this promise, this truth that if we grab a hold of it will change everything about our lives: "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." This time it's not "I will be with you"; He says "I AM"! Right now as you sit reading this - He is with you!! He sees you and knows you. Because of that reality, the demons shake and tremble. Creation itself waits in anticipation for you and I to walk in this Truth. Are you ready?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Creative Revolution

Unseen

The Mother of the Living