The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail





 We sat laughing and talking over cups of saffron and cardamom infused coffee. Our local friend stated, “If my husband knew about my decision…” and she drew her finger across her neck. Though she smiled as if it was an exaggeration, we all knew that the possibility was all too real. This woman so full of joy and eager to learn the Truth could lose absolutely everything including her life for the sake of this one choice. 

I listened to another local friend explaining that her father, also a believer, had been deported and though he was currently safe, she didn’t know when or if they would ever be able to see him again. In a male-dominated society, she and her sisters and mom were on their own in the world’s eyes. Yet, the Truth they carried in their hearts radiated from their lives and this is what set them apart. 


Her fiancé spoke in a dialect I was not familiar with, however, I was eager to ask questions because she had told me a little about his story. Keeping his phrases simple and clear so I could understand, he began to tell me of his journey. He came from a strict, religious family. He described how he had read the Word and found the Truth. No one else in his family knew yet. Alone, yet not alone, because the Word lived within him. 


It was these last two individuals that accompanied me on a pilgrimage of sorts to the stronghold of their past beliefs. The Lord had spoken to me many times before in the quiet place of what He was and is doing in that spiritual stronghold, but never had I imagined setting foot there myself. Yet, there I was in the car with followers of the Way driving through checkpoints into the city and then to the very foot of this famed site. If the Lord had not gone before us, there is no way we could have entered as there was strict security and a required registration to enter. But as we prayed quietly under our breath and kept walking, God distracted one guard and blinded the eyes of another. We walked right into the building without being stopped or questioned. Suddenly, before me was the sight I had only ever seen before in pictures or visions, and there were all the people - the men yearning for the Truth, the woman longing to be pure, the elderly longing for healing, the rich seeking an eternal treasure, the poor hoping to reach perfection. And over it all hung this question like a thick cloud - Will I ever be good enough?


This is a question I too have asked for most of life and by God’s grace have found the answer in Him. As I walked with the throng of people, I knew that Jesus was walking with me and that He was extending that same grace to each of them. My heart broke with compassion for these precious people who could not yet see Him walking there with them. I so badly wanted them to know the Truth of how He had come so that they could be forgiven and walk in peace with God knowing He is delighted with them. Though I couldn't raise my voice without drawing attention to myself, I quietly prayed and claim the ground I stood upon for His name. 


In the car leaving this place, we rejoiced at the miracle God had done. My friends sang in their language and the sound of their worship touched my heart. It reminded me of another time when I had prayed in that same language and realized that God heard me. I knew that God heard my local friends when they prayed in their own tongue, but somehow I thought He had to translate when I prayed in their language. Even if all I can get out is “God, help me.” - that is enough! 


What would it sound like for this language and the voice of these people groups to be raised across the land? What would happen if His people called by His name gathered together in praise and worship? What better place to raise up a sound of victory than in the place where so many have been forced into bondage? His bride is arising here and the gates of hell will not prevail against His glory revealed in her. 


As I think of this sign and wonder that God did in my life and as I marvel at the courage of my brothers and sisters here who are willing to give up everything to know the Truth, I am faced with the challenge, what is my response? Will I cheer them on from a distance and go on with life? Will I recount this miracle story as something God did in the past and make it a part of history? OR will I take my place beside these believers championing them and walking alongside them? Will I stand in the grace God has given me for each new day to walk in faith and courage into whatever miracle story He has for me today? Will I stand upon the Rock of Truth in confidence that NOTHING can stand against the One who conquered death? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Creative Revolution

Unseen

The Mother of the Living