The Voice that Shakes the Earth



    Imagine clouds of smoke billowing up from the hostile slopes of Mount Sinai. The brilliant light of the glory of God pierces through the clouds like lightning and the sound of His voice echoes like thunder. Imagine the fear gripping the hearts of millions of Israelites as they stood quaking at the base of this holy mountain. In Hebrews the writer describes the experience as “a voice speaking words that those who heard it begged that no further word be spoken to them.” Even Moses who later asked to see the glory of God, said “I am trembling with fear.” 

    Standing on this mountain not too many months ago, I imagined the darkness, the gloom and the storm described so clearly, and I shivered inside. Yet, in Hebrews, the author says, “You have come to Mount Zion… to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly… to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant…” What a glorious picture of hope and joy! We have come “to God, the Judge of all, to the spirits of the righteous made perfect!” He has provided a way to access this beautiful communion with Himself. Yet, it comes at a price.




    I was wandering around the stone walls at the base of Mount Sinai that would have acted as a sort of holding pen for the animals before they were sacrificed. The sacrifices symbolized the blood required to approach a holy God. Chunks of white marble were scattered on the ground, remnants of the marble pillars hewn by Moses to represent the twelve tribes of Israel. Here stood the remains of the evidence of the old covenant instituted by a loving God to turn the hearts of His people back to Himself. The people who “could not bear what was commanded” because it was so intense. 



"SEE TO IT THAT YOU DO NOT REFUSE HIM WHO SPEAKS."





  

 And now under this new and glorious covenant He says, “See to it that you do not refuse Him who speaks.” How often do I operate out of the mindset that under the new covenant I somehow have it easier than the Israelites? Jesus' blood covers my sins so I don’t have to be so concerned about following rules, right? There’s grace to just do whatever I want isn’t there? 


    The massive boulder in front of me seemed to whisper my name. I climbed up around it to see the side facing the mountain. On the flattened surface a deep gouge criss-crossed the boulder creating a most impressive cross. What caused this crack I do not know but to me it pointed directly to the cross of Christ who's blood has given us access to Mt. Zion. The great and final sacrifice still echoes through time and with it comes an even great call: “At that time His voice shook the earth, but now He has promised, ‘Once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens.’” 


"Our God is a consuming fire"

    If I would tremble at a mountain covered in darkness and gloom, with a voice like thunder echoing from its top, how much more should I tremble in reverence and awe at the Living Word incarnate within me! As it says in Hebrews: “Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our ‘God is a consuming fire.’” Am I willing to allow the holy fire of God to consume everything in me that is not of Him? Am I willing for Him to shake my entire life and the world I live in until only what cannot be shaken remains? This is the life of the new covenant! No more do we stand at the base of the mountain trembling in fear lest we should hear God for ourselves. NO! Now as a daughter of God, I approach the holy mountain with fear and trembling knowing that in His holy, jealous love He will remove anything unholy that will separate me from Him. I keep pressing on because I know that the One who has called me is able to complete that which He has started in me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unseen

The Creative Revolution

The Mother of the Living