Meeting a Stranger

 



Out on a lonely desert road lit up by street lights, stood the imposing concrete walls of the outside courtyard of my new friend's "istaraha" (a word used for a cabin or vacation home that can be rented out for holidays). I had met this sweet lady at a local festival. Of course like many other women here, when I had met her she was completely covered in black with only her eyes showing. We had exchanged numbers and just last week she reached out inviting me to come meet her and her daughters about an hour outside of the city at their "istaraha". I approached the massive gates rather hesitantly. I knew I wouldn't recognize her and I had never met her daughters before, so I felt practically like a stranger walking up to someone's family reunion expecting to be let in. 

The minute I walked in my fears subsided. I knew who she was immediately because she came rushing over to meet me and welcome me with open arms. Inside the courtyard, I was free to talk off my outer robe and head scarf. I was pleasantly surprised to see green grass and trees growing in the yard and a flowering vine growing up over the lattice. We walked over to where the others were all sitting on comfy outside couches around a low table spread with all sorts of yummy appetizers and coffee and tea.  Her daughters and friends each stood up to greet me cheek to cheek as is the traditional way. Each one asking a whole string of questions like - How's life? How are you? How is your health? How is your family? What's your news? - without even leaving a space for me to respond. 

Once they all realized I could speak Arabic, they settle comfortably into conversation with me and amongst themselves. One of the daughters served me coffee and offered me chocolate. Another one asked me about where I'm from and what I do and very quickly I felt like I had become part of the family reunion. The evening past pleasantly with lots of fun memories including making S'mores with the kids using tea biscuits and dancing to some of the traditional Arabic music. 

It's moments like this where all the hours of studying a language and the energy spent reviewing and agonizing over each new vocabulary word seem so worth it! I sat there enjoying the lively chatter going on around me and gazing at the crackling fire thinking just how grateful I am to be in this country with these people that in so many ways feel like family to me. It's in these precious moments of gathering and fellowshipping that I get the beautiful opportunity to hear the stories of these precious women and share pieces of my own. Please pray that I will have grace to embrace the process as I continue this journey. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unseen

The Creative Revolution

The Mother of the Living